Friday, July 18, 2008

The Conspiracy


Ooo I picked up the latest issue of TV guide last night. "The Secrets of the X Files" It does look liked they've been out clubbing, with the way the stylist dressed them on the cover. But the article is really nice, as well as some of the pictures inside. I love the table read photo with Duchovny, Anderson, Carter & Spotnitz!

#8
"E.B.E."

Season 1, Episode 16
Scully and Mulder trace a mysterious truck across the country, a truck they have reason to believe is transporting an alien being -- an Extraterrestrial Biological Entity. It's the best chance they've ever had to get hard evidence of an alien presence on Earth. But as they investigate, they begin to suspect that no one wants them to learn the truth - not even their allies. Trapped in a maze of carefully prepared lies and hard-found truths, the agents must confront the unknown with just one thing they can be sure of: they can only trust each other. (from the VHS tape)

Why I love it: The X Files involving aliens and government conspiracies my have gotten out of control by the ninth season. But is season one it was simple. Something bad was happening, and the government was hiding it. Because it's so simple in premise and relatively easy to follow, it's one of my favorite alien mythology episodes. It's all here, from government lies, to unresolved sexual tension. It's chalk full of paranoia, and there are some strange scares. The lab in the back of the truck anyone? Plus we get or first introduction to the Lone Gunmen. Oh Hurrah! I've read that some people consider this episode to be the beginning of the Mulder and Scully versus the world mentality that we see so often in later mythology shows. I'd buy that, and I'd also say they have good reason. As The Man is being shady. If I had to pick a good introduction to the alien myth arch, for a newbie. I pretty sure it would be this one.

Quotable Quotes:
Byers: Vladimir Zhirinovsky, the leader of the Russian Social Democrats, is being put into power by the most heinous and evil force in the 20th century.
Mulder: Barney?

Scully: I think you give the government too much credit. I mean, they can't control the deficit or manage crime. What makes you think they could plan and execute such an elaborate conspiracy?
Frohike: She is hot.
Mulder: Settle down, Frohike.

Scully: Those were the most paranoid people I have ever met. I don't know how you could think that what they say is even remotely plausible.
Mulder: I think it's remotely plausible that someone might think you're hot.


Warning
: this game is addictive, and may drive you insane!

No comments: