Saturday, July 19, 2008

Ice Ice Baby...


I'm sorry to make everyone's ears bleed, and reference that awful song in the title. But I just couldn't help myself! Oh and we have less then a week for the "X-Files I Want to Believe."

#7
"Ice"
Season 1, Episode 7

A group of scientists in the Arctic all die in a grisly murder-suicide, explained only by their mysterious warning. "We are not who we are." Scully and Mulder head north to investigate with a new team of scientists, discovering that the source of the homicides is a worm-like parasite pulled up from deep in the arctic ice core. Stranded by a snow storm, members of the group began to die - leading even Scully to suspect that Mulder is now infected with the deadly parasite. (from the VHS tape)

Why I love it: It's a thrill ride, scary and suspenseful, you don't know who to trust. It's like a mini movie the way it plays out. Duchovny has called this "The [X Files'] first rocking episode." I concur! Like "EBE" all the parts are in place, the scene with the dog barking when Mulder's checking stuff out, will always make me jump. I'm always paranoid that Mulder really did kill that scientist, even though I've seen it twenty times. Plus the heat when Mulder and Scully check each other for bumps, makes my dog blush. This makes me want to see the two movies that inspired it. John Carpenter's The Thing, (1982) and The Thing from Another World. (1951)

Quotable Quotes:
Murphy: Maybe the organism in the ice core somehow got into the men.
Dasilva: Come on, nothing can survive in sub-zero temperatures for a quarter of a million years.
Mulder: Unless that's how it lives.

Mulder: Now, I don't trust them. I want to trust you.

Mulder: Scully! For God sakes, it's me!
Scully: Mulder... you may not be who you are.

Materia Primoris: The X Files Main Theme by Mark Snow

No comments: