Thursday, July 17, 2008

Wearing Your Heart On Your Sleeve


Yesterday this blog had twenty-five total posts on my birthday, seeing that the X Files: I Want to Believe opens on the 25th I'm taking that as a good sign.

#9
"Paper Hearts"
Season 4, Episode 8

Seemingly prophetic dreams send Mulder on a search for the undiscovered victims of a serial killer, only to discover that one of them may be his missing sister, Samantha. (from the DVD slim pack)

Why I love it: It's a great piece of character work for Duchovny. I was sort of on the fence about his acting abilities, till I saw this episode. Why he didn't win an Emmy for this one, I don't know. I will say that this episode was hard for me to pick as a favorite, not because of anything wrong with the episode, but because the subject matter is so dark. The actor who plays John Lee Roche is so convincing, your stomach will turn. You as well as Mulder become so convinced that Roche may have taken Samantha, and that is far more horrifying than any alien abduction. This episode is horrifying, but it's also well done. Just make sure you watch it with the lights on, and then refrain from watching the news.

Quotable Quotes:
John Roche: This man... this man hit me. (indicates Mulder)
Guard: I didn't see it.
Scully: (entering room) I did.

Mulder: That's exactly how it happened? Right here in this room?
Roche: Yeah.
Mulder: Wrong house.

John Roche: Mulder. Long time no see. Got a new partner.

Here's a link to the X Files Forum I hang out at. Here.

No comments: