Thursday, July 10, 2008

God is in My Head


Today is one of those beautiful days of epic proportions, I need to rush this entry so I can go lay in the grass.

#16
"All Souls"
Season 5, Episode 17

Mulder and Scully investigate a girls death, who seems to have been struck down by the hand of God.

Why I love it: It's another Scully-centric episode for one. It's also like the twenty-fifth entry of the countdown, a story that is based on a cultural source. A little book called the bible, you may have heard of it. Now there a plenty of biblical stories, that need to be to be taken with a pillar of salt, my mother is sceptical about turning water into wine, while my father always wonders how Jesus could have addressed crowds of ten thousand people, without some kind of PA system, (oh microphone salesman, of little faith). This episode highlights Scully's own scepticism with her faith, after the loss of her daughter Emily. I remember watching this episode, at a friends house right before we had to go to our high school graduation rehearsal. You can picture my friend and I parked in front of the TV, in our caps and gowns, with her mother calling it us that we should be thinking of leaving. We eventually did, after the episode was over. This episode works well in a lot of different ways. Gillian Anderson is great. (as always!) I really like the confession booth scenes. (maybe I'm just a sucker for those kind of character expositions) The case is also cool, and I like that twist at the end. You maybe a little at sea if you haven't seen other episodes in season five, but i don't think that should stop you from seeing this little gem.

P.S. Does anyone know if Mulder is mispronouncing Schizophrenia when interrogating Father McCue? That's always bugged me, because he an Oxford educated psychologist, so maybe it's the scientific pronunciation? Does anyone know?

No comments: