Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Oh Hurrah!


It's my birthday. Oh Hurrah! and X-Files: I Want to Believe is in nine days. I couldn't ask for a better present! Plus now that we've made it to the top ten, there will be goodies with every post!

#10
"Humbug"
Season 2, Episode 20

Mulder and Scully travel to Gibsonton, Florida, a town built and populated by circus and sideshow performers to investigate the death of Jerald Glazebrook, The Alligator Man. While searching for leads on the killer, the agents come across many bizarre characters including the local sheriff who was once known as Jim Jim, the Dog-Faced Boy. (from tv.com)

Why I love it: It's Darin Morgan's first script. It's also the first time X Files went into comedy. It's a wonderful premise. I have to admit that I find the treatment of the populous to be pretty sensitive. Which I find rather touching. The hotel manager little speeches to Mulder have plenty of zing. Doctor Blockhead and the Enigma are just off the wall. And the town of Gibsonton becomes a strange little world of it's own, by episodes end. One that's goofy, and spooky enough so your sad to leave by the end.

Quotable Quotes:
Sheriff Hamilton: This is Hepcat Helm. He operates a carnival funhouse.
Hepcat: Oh man, how many times have I told you not to call it that?! It's not some rinky-dink carnie ride! People go through it, they don't have FUN, they get the hell scared out of 'em! ... It's not a funhouse. It's a Tabernacle of Terror!

Lanny: Mister Nutt, the kindhearted manager here, convinced me that to make a living by publicly displaying my deformity lacked dignity... so now I carry other people's luggage.

Mr Nutt: Just because I'm not of so-called average height does not mean I must receive my thrills vicariously. Not all women are attracted to overly tall, lanky men such as yourself. You'd be surprised how many women find my size intriguingly alluring.
Mulder: You'd be surprised how many men do as well.

Check out the journal that inspiried my countdown here.

No comments: