Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Countdown Begins

In honour of the July 25th release date of the X-Files: I Want to Believe, I'm counting down my top twenty-five episodes, with mini reviews form the nine year run of the television series. Starting with...
25
"The Gift"
Season 8, Episode 11

I'm probably going to catch a little hell, from other Philes, for promoting this one; but I'll give you my reasons. The plot involves newly assigned X-Files agent John Doggett discovering Mulder's involvement in a case, that Mulder has kept hidden from Scully, (gasp!) and also possibly indicts Mulder as a murderer (mon dieu!) Further investigation by Doggett, leads him out of his comfort zone, and up to his tushy in paranormal alligators, so to speak.

Why I love it: I loved it from the moment I saw the bloody circle with the cross though it, and instantly recognized the Lakota medicine wheel. (And I'm sure that pointing out this detail, has elevated me, from the run of the mill X-Phile nerd, to the know it all dork, who keeps wondering where all those "kick me" signs are coming from.) Maybe this is because I've spent sometime on the Lakota Sioux, Rez and and am familiar with the story. Which makes me love the fact that it was given an X-Files treatment. I adore it when fiction borrows from culture sources, the more obscure, and quirky the better. Especially if I get it.
I love the visual treatment our healer is given, and I won't give away the plot details, for those who haven't seen it. But be warned, it's not for the squeamish. I also love the added mystery, of trying to figure out what kind of trouble Mulder's gotten himself into this time, told partly through flashbacks. It's a risky move, and despite some problems, (mostly with the long term story arch, and mostly this is a problem only for the Philes) I think it's pulled off well. It's of course, not without it's flaws, but if you don't worry too much about the details, and take it as a stand alone story. It's definitely worth a gander.

And just for clarification an X-Phile or Phile is a fan of the highest classification. Someone who knows all the characters names, birthdays, and SSI numbers. We are often characterized by are bad hair, and willingness to believe.

No comments: