Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Psychic Connection


Tomorrow is the day!

#2
"Beyond the Sea"
Season 1, Episode 12

Two college students are kidnapped and the only lead is an inmate named Luther Boggs, who claims to have information he's picked up through psychic transmissions. Mulder is sceptical; his profile put Boggs on Death Row and the man has reason to seek revenge. But Scully, who has seemingly just experienced a psychic vision after the death of her father, is suddenly open to extreme possibilities. Yet even she can't be sure if Boggs is telling the truth, or if she's being used as a tool by the desperate psychopath. (from the VHS tape)

Why I love it: It's a well written piece, and an acting tour de force. Brad Dourif is utterly convincing as Boggs, and I can see why some people joke about hiring real killers to play these parts. Dourif is chilling. Not to mention Gillian Anderson who's really truly shines here. In one scene where Scully confronts Boggs, I was screaming right along with her. I can't say enough good things about Anderson's performance in this one, it's remarkable. This episode is a stunner.

Quotable Quotes:
Scully: Did Boggs confess?
Mulder: No, no, it was five hours of Boggs' "channeling". After three hours I asked him to summon up the soul of Jimi Hendrix and requested "All Along the Watchtower." You know, the guy's been dead twenty years, but he still hasn't lost his edge.

(Boggs is supposable channeling visions from a piece of evidence)
Mulder: I tore this off my New York Knicks t-shirt. It has nothing to do with the crime.

Scully: You set us up. You're in on this with Lucas Henry. This was a trap for Mulder because he helped put you away. Well, I came here to tell you that if he dies because of what you've done, four days from now nobody will stop me from being the one that'll throw the switch and gas you out of this life for good, you son of a bitch!!!
Boggs: Dana... (in Mulder's voice) You're the one who believed me.
Scully: No! No, I do not believe you!
Boggs: If you don't believe me, maybe you'll believe yourself.

Boggs: There was that one time when I was fourteen and my parents had gone to bed and I snuck downstairs all alone. Got one of my mom's cigarettes and went out onto the porch in the dark. I was so scared. My heart was beating, I mean, they would have killed me if they knew. But I was so excited. Not 'cause of the cigarette, I mean, it was gross, but because I wasn't supposed to.

Dana Scully talking about what she misses in Mulder, extra audio from the promo here.

No comments: