Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sweetheart, bitter heart


I saw The Dark Knight, it was really good. I hope that X Files: I Want to Believe lives up to it's hype as well.

#7
"Milagro"

Season 6, Episode 18

A writer living next to Mulder becomes obsessed with Scully and confesses to her that he is using her for a character in his novel. Scully finds herself strangely drawn to him even though he is now the prime suspect in the murder case that she and Mulder are investigating. (from tv.com)

Why I love it: This piece remind me of drama classes I had about breaking down the fourth wall. The fourth wall being, what separates the characters in a play from the audience. All this meaning it's when characters in a play forget that they're actually figments of someone's imagination. It's ironic for the X Files to take on this subject matter, seeing that Chris Carter invented these characters, and once the phenomenon struck, Mulder and Scully took on a life of their own. The Milagro story is commentary on the power of art and imagination, inside the already established universe of the X Files. A picture within picture. Plus it's just a really cool hour of television.

Quotable Quotes:
Padgett: (To Scully) I have to admit, I noticed you. I do that - notice people. I saw that you wear a gold cross around your neck so I was taking a chance with the painting - explaining something you may have already known. I saw Georgetown parking permits on your car dating from 1993 and a government exempt sticker that lets you park anywhere you like. You don't live in this area, but as a federal employee you have reason to frequent it. You're fit, with muscular calves, so you must exercise or run. There's a popular running route right nearby that you might use at lunch or after work. You'd have noticed this church in passing, and though parking is always a problem in this part of town, your special privileges would make it easy to visit. Not as a place of worship, but beacuse you have an appreciation for architecture and the arts. And while the grandeur is what you take away when you visit, this painting's religious symbolism would have left its impression, jogged by the gift you received this morning.
Scully: That was from you?
Padgett: I have to admit to a secret attraction. I'm sorry I didn't include a note explaining that, but you didn't know me then.
Scully: Yeah and I don't know you now. And I don't care to.
Padgett: I see this is making you uncomfortable and I'm sorry. It's just that I'm taken with you. That never happens to me. We're alike that way.

Scully: Mulder, you are making critical assumptions without any facts. What about time of death, what about- what-
(Mulder stops, grabs Scully, and spins around so she's standing in his place and he's taken her spot) Mulder, what are you doing?
Mulder: Well, you're about to argue my usual side, aren't you?
Scully: Why couldn't he have imagined it? Why couldn't he just be in the killer's head?
Mulder: You read his book. You read what he wrote about you. [He wrote about Scully and "the stranger" having sex] Are you trying to tell me he got inside your head? That what I read is true?
Scully: (Doesn't meet his eyes) Mulder, of course not.

Really beautiful written, insightful X-Files reviews, by Sarah Stegall. Here

No comments: